SOLAR INCENTIVE PROGRAM
SMART provides additional incentives to solar developers for projects 5MW AC or less based on project size, location, and off-taker mix, using a Block Compensation Rate.
Calculate the block compensation rate by subtracting the cost of electricity from your block rate
≤25kW → 230%
- ≤25kW → 200%
- 25-250kW → 150%
- 250-500kW → 125%
- 500-1000kW → 110%
- 1-5MW → 100%
- Agricultural, Brownfield, Building Mounted, Canopy, Floating, Landfill
- Off-taker based
- Community Shared, Income-qualifying Community Shared, Income-qualifying Property, Public Entity
- Additional Adders
- Energy Storage, Solar Tracking, Pollinator
Check the Mass.gov website for updated adder amounts.
- Individual: enrolled in utility’s income-qualifying rate or if they live in a neighborhood with household income ≤65% of MA AMI
- Income-qualifying community shared solar project: at least 50% of energy output needs to be allocated to income-qualifying customers for the adder.
- Income-qualifying solar projects must demonstrate guaranteed savings for income-qualifying customers that participate
- All community shared solar recipients must sign a customer disclosure form
- No consolidated billing
- No income-qualifying carve outs or equity metrics